Monday, July 19, 2010

Creating Maps in Your Mind


I decided to do a vocabulary web of math terms for Second Grade for my Mind Mapping project. I thought this would a useful tool for students who have a difficult time remembering terms that are often used in math word problems. Students would be expected to use the images included in the web to help them memorize the different math terms. This could be used as either a diagnostic assessment for students prior to being taught new terms or as a formative assessment for students to complete prior to a summative exam. This mind-map will help students memorize important terms that will help them successfully complete various word problems. It will also help clear up confusion between different terms (i.e. greater than and less than).

The most important lesson that I learned from this activity was how effective mind-mapping activities can be. There are many different ways to teach a curriculum, and mind-mapping is an excellent way to help students learn new material or review lessons they have already learned in a more visual way. I used Inspiration for this project because I had had great success with it in the past. The program is very simple to use and allows the user to learn by doing. The only thing I would change about this program would be to create a tool bar at the top of the work space that allows users to more easily change the font style, size, color, etc. more easily.

When I use this program with my students, I will make sure that they have a clear rubric that explains how many terms they must include as well as some other guidelines for completion. I would give my students a tutorial of the program and point out all of its special features. For group assignments, I would encourage my students to use Webspiration as it allows users to collaborate with group members more easily than Inspiration allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment